Friday, August 28, 2009

Stuttering and stammering because I'm so thankful - - to God and to all of you who prayed

My wife's Social Security Disability hearing was on Tuesday. We were told to look for a decision letter in about 60 - 90 days.

Well, our advocate just called and said, "Melissa is my all time record for fastest decision rendered." He received a written statement of judgement in our favor this morning.

I am stunned - the financial and medical and medical and financial struggles of the last four years have dinged my ability to anticipate good news in those aspects of our lives. This is going to heal our struggling finances.

I praise God for keeping things together for us and teaching me much over these years. I've encountered much of the self-centered evil lurking in my heart, and by the grace of God have crucified some of it. I've also learned more of what love really looks like.

I thank God for the people at Good Shepherd and beyond who have been patient, flexible and supportive in so many ways - especially in faithful intercession that has resulted in blessings I probably overlooked along the way.

Psalm 18 is one of my favorites. Sacred tradition holds that David "sang to the LORD the words of this song when the LORD delivered him from the hand of all his enemies." It was praise built up over a long season of affliction. So I share some of David's lyrics, as they are always better than my prose:

I love you, O LORD my strength, O LORD my stronghold, my crag, and my haven.

My God, my rock in whom I put my trust, my shield, the horn of my salvation, and my refuge; you are worthy of praise.

The cords of hell entangled me, and the snares of death were set for me.

I called upon the LORD in my distress and cried out to my God for help.


He heard my voice from his heavenly dwelling; my cry of anguish came to his ears.

He parted the heavens and came down with a storm cloud under his feet.

He reached down from on high and grasped me; he drew me out of great waters.

He brought me out into an open place; he rescued me because he delighted in me.

As always, Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit; as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

5 comments:

Jill C. said...

Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!

Castanea_d said...

I've been around the SS disability procedures before, and the quick positive decision for your wife is absolutely unheard of.

God is at work here.

Thanks be to God for his mercies and grace. Blessings be with you all.

TLF+ said...

Amen to both comments - we are praising God while marvelling at the way prayer was answered with this unusually (unnaturally?) quick decision.

Milton Finch said...

Thanks be to God for their decision. I recieved benifits on November 2, 2008. Yet, I still have yet to receive back payments upwards of two years. In other words, what was owed me at the decision has yet to be payed now almost two years later.

Please pray that they award me what I am due. I am serious. I owe so many so much. If it weren't for those people aiding me, we would have fallen through the cracks and would have been on the streets.

I am grateful for the check each month, no doubt in that, but I fell way behind while my wife and I just got by on her salary.

Pray for us.

TLF+ said...

Milton - will take this with me to the altar this morning. May God bring you the resources quickly - and give you greater inward treasure every day.