Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Lutheran Pastor emails - "staying differently"

I am heartbroken at what I saw and heard at the ELCA churchwide assembly: a bishop-led "Bible" study that was absolute dribble, a brillant scholar on the Reformation destroying any foundation for Lutheran ethics with a novel "bound conscience" theory, and pastors at the microphone equate being opposed to these motions with sinning against the Holy Spirit, the unforgivable sin. My church has embraced heresy as its teaching and standard for the lives of its pastors and people. I am now in a strange land that I never sought to enter, and have no idea how to escape.

But Lutheran CORE [Coalition for Reform] is not in despair. "We are afflicted in every way, but not
crushed."(I Corinthians 4:8) We are praying for our ELCA, and we are regrouping in order to stay differently.


The Rev. Erma Wolf, Lutheran Pastor, Brandon, South Dakota

1 comment:

Jill C. said...

The ELCA church near me has on its outdoor sign this week: "We stand with the Bible, not the Lutheran institution." I e-mailed the pastor and let him know that the message was read and understood (at least by one) and that he and his congregation were in my prayers.

(The Lutheran church is located right next door to the town's only Episcopal church, by the way.)