Sunday, July 5, 2009

Has the Episcopal Church General Convention got a prayer?

GenCon meets in Anaheim, CA, this week thru July 17. (It comes to order on the 8th, but folks are already travelling and doing the pre-Convention stuff.) You can find good resources and even opportunities to pray with others at


+++
+++
Twitter users: #pray4TEC
+++
Yeah, I know. What's the use? The fragmentation is set in, one faction runs it all, etc. etc.
But prayer is how we stay close to God. He might say "No" to what you ask, and redirect you to pray differently. He might say an awesome "Yes," but His timing of the answer might require time to unfold. Sometimes, prayer is God's way of acting on us as much as on any concerns we bring.
+++
At any rate, He can't speak to us about the things on our hearts and minds if we aren't sitting with Him to listen.
+++
I know some good intercessors who, when it comes to General Convention, describe "hitting a wall" when it comes to forming prayers. If that's the case, "Thy will be done..." is plenty of prayer.
+++
If nothing else, we can pray for safe travel and health for the deputies, for folks from our own dioceses who are attending, and other simple prayers of kindness and compassion.
+++
For myself, the recent Morning Prayer readings from Acts 9 have been an encouragement. They describe a scattered, vulnerable and hounded church, with zealots out to wipe out whatever of it can be found. Yet Jesus speaks to the zealots' zealot, and wonderful things happen. So I will be praying for some powerful conversion of sincere, zealous but misguided church leaders to hear from Jesus and come into a new role that brings Him glory and builds up His church.
+++
I won't be giving God a timeline, Just asking the Father, through Jesus, in the power of the Holy Spirit. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. Hebrews 4:16

2 comments:

Jill C. said...

Safe travel and health -- yeah, I can at least do that. My first reaction is: I don't care, what's the use, etc. But you bring up some good points. We are supposed to pray. Even if we've given up on them, God may still be working.

TLF+ said...

He's working on us , for sure. Jesus tells us to be persistent, like the widow nagging the unjust judge or the impertinent neighbor seeking bread.

Sometimes, I find the Spirit tweaking my persistent prayers. I realize that what I've been asking is not what God wants, and in that discovery I pray differently and am made more of who He would have me to be.