- Please lift the Rosebud's "War on Suicide" in the Prayers of the People or in special altar intentions today.
- From the Revised Common Lectionary: Zechariah 9:9-12
Rejoice greatly, O daughter Zion!
Shout aloud, O daughter Jerusalem!
Lo, your king comes to you;
triumphant and victorious is he,
humble and riding on a donkey,
on a colt, the foal of a donkey.
He will cut off the chariot from Ephraim
and the war horse from Jerusalem;
and the battle bow shall be cut off,
and he shall command peace to the nations;
his dominion shall be from sea to sea,
and from the River to the ends of the earth.
As for you also, because of the blood of my covenant with you,
I will set your prisoners free from the waterless pit.
Return to your stronghold, O prisoners of hope;
today I declare that I will restore to you double.
- Prayer: Lord Jesus, come to Rosebud as their victorious warrior. Defeat spiritual, emotional and social deceptions that are against the people there. Lead the people into battle and drive suicide from their land. Let the power of your suffering and your blood set the people free. We pray in your Name. Amen.
- From the 1928 Book of Common Prayer: St. Mark viii. 1.
IN those days the multitude being very great, and having nothing to eat, Jesus called his disciples unto him, and saith unto them, I have compassion on the multitude, because they have now been with me three days, and have nothing to eat: and if I send them away fasting to their own houses, they will faint by the way: for divers of them came from far. And his disciples answered him, From whence can a man satisfy these men with bread here in the wilderness? And he asked them, How many loaves have ye? And they said, Seven. And he commanded the people to sit down on the ground: and he took the seven loaves, and gave thanks, and brake, and gave to his disciples to set before them; and they did set them before the people. And they had a few small fishes: and he blessed, and commanded to set them also before them. So they did eat, and were filled: and they took up of the broken meat that was left seven baskets. And they that had eaten were about four thousand: and he sent them away.
- From the Rosebud: "I'm so tired of talking. I'm so tired of begging," said Marcida Eagle Bear of the Rosebud Sioux Tribe's Alcohol Program. "Nothing really changes. We're losing our young people."
- Prayer: Lord Jesus, in your hands what little we have becomes much. We beg, on behalf of the Rosebud's people, for your compassion and provision against this plague of suicide. We beg especially that you will come to the help of the young people on the Reservation. We ask this in your Name. Amen.