Yesterday, I was led to post Psalm 119:92 as our "sword of the Spirit" to take up against the unseen enemy that promotes suicide on the Rosebud Reservation.
If your instructions hadn’t sustained me with joy,
I would have died in my misery.
I read the verse again in the original Hebrew. It was most revealing:
- "instructions" is actually tort'kah, "Your (God's) Torah." This is the foundational Covenant Law, which is the Law of Moses in the Old Testament and fulfilled by the Blood of Christ in the New Testament.
- The first phrase of the verse is somewhat unusual in Hebrew. It is something like, "Had not Your Law been my delight (noun)..." There is no hint of anything for us to do but receive - we don't have a verb. There is no action that we take but to receive God's Covenant and let it transform us with joy.
- The second phrase of the verse stunned me, because it reveals the name of a spiritual enemy. The Hebrew for "I would have perished" is abadti, the root of a specific name in Revelation 9:11 -They had as king over them the angel of the Abyss, whose name in Hebrew is Abaddon, and in Greek, Apollyon.
This goes back to our discussion of "portals." In the Old Testament, Abaddon is known as a "realm" or spiritual "place" before the name is revealed as that of its demonic overseer.
- Job 26:6 (NLT) says "place of destruction"
- Job 31:12 (NLT) uses "hell"
- Proverbs 15:11 & 27:20 (KJV) say "destruction"
- Psalm 88:12 (NIV) calls this "the land of oblivion"
We are dealing here with Satan's overseer for the realm where all hope is lost. This is where the "second death" leaves souls separated from God. If you read all of Psalm 88, you will see how Abaddon comes into the world sowing enough affliction to make a person give up completely - certainly the kind of demonic force that would lure people toward suicide.
- An encouraging email from the Rosebud: Thank you for your prayer for our people. We are claiming victory over the enemy who takes our children from us, and your coming along side us is a real encouragement to me as well as another front from which to attack the devourer.
- Be prepared if you are going to pray against Abaddon's work. It is no wonder that there is so much suicide if Abaddon has an open portal on the Rosebud. This phase of the prayer campaign really requires us to "raise our shields" and wield the sword of the Spirit (God's word) in unity. We need to start coordinating some of our hours of prayer and fasting, and to be very attentive to intercession for one another. Please be sure to use Ephesians 6:10-20 and look at last week's posts to equip yourself.
- Remember what Psalm 119:92 implies in Hebrew. It is not our work (no verb!), but our reception of what God gives - the New Covenant in the blood of Jesus Christ. Even using the armor of God assumes this: Belt of Truth = Jesus is The Truth; Armor/Breastplate of Righteousness = Jesus is our Righteousness; Shoes of Gospel Peace = Jesus is the Good News and the giver of Peace "not as the world gives"; Shield of Faith = our faith is in Jesus; Helmet of Salvation = Jesus is the Savior; Sword of the Spirit/word of God = Jesus is the Word and he strikes down evil with the "sword of his mouth" (Revelation 1:16, 2:16, 19:15 & 21).
- We ask God, in Jesus' Name, to close any portal between Abaddon and the Rosebud Reservation.
- We ask God, in Jesus' Name, to open a portal for His word and its joy to come into the Rosebud Reservation to displace Abaddon's influence there.
Tomorrow I will discuss what might be the name of a lesser demon who is doing Abaddon's work on the Rosebud, also revealed in Psalm 119:92.