Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Holy Women - for the Rosebud, Day 24

If your instructions hadn’t sustained me with joy, I would have died in my misery.
Psalm 119:92

Tamar

Then he said to Tamar, “Now bring the food into my bedroom and feed it to me here.” So Tamar took his favorite dish to him. But as she was feeding him, he grabbed her and demanded, “Come to bed with me, my darling sister.”

“No, my brother!” she cried. “Don’t be foolish! Don’t do this to me! Such wicked things aren’t done in Israel. Where could I go in my shame? And you would be called one of the greatest fools in Israel. Please, just speak to the king about it, and he will let you marry me.”

But Amnon wouldn’t listen to her, and since he was stronger than she was, he raped her. Then suddenly Amnon’s love turned to hate, and he hated her even more than he had loved her. “Get out of here!” he snarled at her.

“No, no!” Tamar cried. “Sending me away now is worse than what you’ve already done to me.”

But Amnon wouldn’t listen to her. He shouted for his servant and demanded, “Throw this woman out, and lock the door behind her!"
II Samuel 13:10-17

Father, we cry out to you for women who suffer violence and abuse on the Rosebud. So many are treated shamefully. The same spiritual forces behind suicide attack all life, dishonoring the life-bearers.

Please restore faith, hope and love where there is affliction. Open mens' eyes to the dignity with which you see their sisters. Break down doors of spiritual and emotional bondage and open the way to your loving presence.

We pray in Jesus' Name. Amen.

2 comments:

Alice C. Linsley said...

Amen. Amen. Amen.

Father Tim, thank you for these fine meditations. They create holy disturbance in my soul which intercession alone can calm.

TLF+ said...

Bless you, Alice. You and all the others who have come forward to intercede are in my daily prayers.