Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The tragedy of a fractured Anglican Communion

This is copied from a comment (not mine) on a friend's Facebook wall:

The time I spent in Nigeria and Cameroon, along with visits I made to S. America, showed me that we will either idolize theological knowledge or else "living by the Spirit". I think both are attempts to tame God, follow the rules, and satisfy our own desires/needs/wants. I loved the passion of the church in Africa! But I grieved the weak orthopraxy that led to Christianity taking in aspects of voodoo and the like. In the US, I am grateful that I can usually find a church with solid theological teaching, but I find it disheartening that the teaching doesn't propel people to passionate orthopraxis.

To anticipate objections, I'll stipulate that "There are two kinds of people..." arguments always overstate the case. But the divisions in the Anglican Communion do cost churches in one region some of the gifts found in others. As the Apostle Paul taught, people of the church are meant to be "members of one body" with "each having a manifestation of the Holy Spirit for the common good."

2 comments:

plsdeacon said...

There are two kinds of people in the world. Those who divide the world into two kinds of people and those who don't.

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

YBIC,
Phil Snyder

TLF+ said...

LOL it had to be said.

Are you articulating the church to the world or the world to the church in that post?