Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Pie Jesu by Andrew Lloyd Webber

from Wikipedia:

The Andrew Lloyd Webber version combines the text of the Pie Jesu with that of the version of the Agnus Dei formerly appointed to be used at Requiem masses:

°Pie Jesu, (4x)
°Qui tollis peccata mundi
°Dona eis requiem. (2x)

[Kind Jesus,
Who take away the sins of the world,
Grant them rest.]

Agnus Dei, (4x)
Qui tollis peccata mundi,
Dona eis requiem (2x)
Sempiternam. (2x)

[Lamb of God,
Who take away the sins of the world,
Grant them rest
Everlasting.]

(°The first verse is repeated twice)

1 comment:

David Handy+ said...

Thanks, Tim. Beautiful music, even if the composer isn't a Christian (I believe Webber is Jewish and makes no claim to believe in Christ).

Lovely music is always welcome. I hope you'll post more of it from time to time on your blog.

FWIW, my favorite requiem is the one by the French master, Gabriel Faure. Odd as it may seem, I first heard it when the choir of my home church, First Presbyterian there in Sioux Falls, sang it one year. Members of the local symphony were hired to help accompany the choir.

I imagine John Calvin wasn't pleased with a Presbyterian church singing a Catholic requiem, but it sure blessed me.