Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Things to See and Do in Babylon: Rope Tricks!

Then the Spirit came into me and set me on my feet. He spoke to me and said, “Go to your house and shut yourself in. There, son of man, you will be tied with ropes so you cannot go out among the people. And I will make your tongue stick to the roof of your mouth so that you will be speechless and unable to rebuke them, for they are rebels. But when I give you a message, I will loosen your tongue and let you speak. Then you will say to them, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says!’ Those who choose to listen will listen, but those who refuse will refuse, for they are rebels. Ezekiel 3:24-28

Ever get that "I just don't wanna go to (dysfunctional family gathering, party thrown by friends who always get stoned, clergy meeting, diocesan convention, etc.)" feeling? Try this: don't fight it.

That urge to stay home might be God's hand on you here in Babylon. That "I'm too tied up to deal with these folks" intuition might be holy.

They are rebels - and sitting through one of their self-congratulation sessions isn't going to change that.

God will turn you loose from time to time, not as a lame duty to a club that could care less about you, but as a messenger. God still has things to say to them, even as they continue in rebellion.

So go home. Be tied up with things you can impact and influence there. And let God teach you His rope trick for those times he wants to send you out with a message.

No comments: