Friday, November 28, 2008

Agggh! Changing over from Christian Radio to Rock (at least for Advent)

We have a good contemporary Christian station here in Sioux Falls, Life 96.5. (Actually, they spill across the border from a college campus in Iowa).

But today dawns the dreaded morning on which they shift to CHRISTMAS MUSIC. Really drives me nuts, in all honesty. The traditional Advent Season gives powerful preparation to the celebration of Christ's birth, God's Word made flesh (John 1:14). The prophetic messages and longing of Advent stir us up to give thanks for the Savior and to look for the Day when he comes again.

It really bugs me that so much of the Christian community bases its "liturgical year" on the shopping season. The shepherds were terrified by the angelic message - today they would just yawn and say, "Yeah, they've been playing that at the mall for a month."

I'll wander back to Christian Radio after Christmas sometime, but for now... rock 'n' roll! OK, here's a few positive things to check out:

USA Today reports on Evangelicals observing Advent (h/t TitusOneNine)

BabyBlue shares The Archbishop of Canterbury's beautiful Advent reflection (video)

Don't forget to look at the Advent resources at Lent & Beyond.

5 comments:

mcyoder said...

I'm not sure if you have an Air 1 radio station near you, but they continue to play their regular contemporary Christian fair along with some Christmas music this time of year. They are nationwide listener supported radio.

The Oblate said...

Ahhh..the 'ol Christmas music that is blasted throughout the Christmas season! You must have heard me and my office elf crumbling this a.m. about being innundated with the tedious music --especially after a phone call to my office phone with someone singing "I Say Mommy Kissing Santa Claus"! I promptly went home and put on my c.d. of Benedictine Monks "Chants for Holiday Season"--ahh,sheer bliss!

Anonymous said...

Our Christian radio station has been playing Christmas music for 2 weeks now.

I like Josh Groban and Il Divo's Christmas CDs (but not until Advent!).

Anonymous said...

My daughter-in-law works for a local Christian Rock station and they play very little Christmas music, unlike the Metroplex's "safe & fun for the whole family" CCM station which is wearing the tread out of Feliz Navidad, Tennessee Christmas, and Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree. I think it's because there is limited Christmas music by Christian punk, alternative, hardcore, and emo bands. Anyway, if you want to listen in, check out www.kvrk.com and click on "Listen Online Live." (My daughter-in-law is on air weekdays from 10 AM to 3 PM Central Time.)

TLF+ said...

Thanks, all, for comiserating and for the alternatives!