Saturday, August 2, 2008

Prayer and Fasting for the Rosebud - Day 28

Self-examination in preparation for Holy Communion

Emissaries of evil had reached the Indians long before the Missionaries of the Cross appeared. "All the white men that came before you," replied a chief, "said that they had come to do us good, but they stole our goods and corrupted our women; and how are we to know that you are different?"
WILLIAM HOBART HARE, MISSIONARY BISHOP OF SOUTH DAKOTA, 1888


  • Jesus, show me how I misrepresent or discredited you...
  • Jesus, I confess these sins and I make it my purpose to walk in your way.
  • Jesus, I thank you for your blood shed to wash away my sins.

If your instructions hadn’t sustained me with joy, I would have died in my misery. Psalm 119:92

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How very poignant and memorable. As the crisis within Anglicanism continues to play itself out, we are becoming ever increasingly aware of the Colonialism that still pervades the bureacratic structures of the AC at the international level, with western elites still seeking to control the outcome of everything and to impose their views on the rest of the world.

But that sobering quote from what a Lakota chief told Bp. Hare is a powerful reminder that colonialism existed and still exists within the borders of the US too.

Lord, have mercy.