Saturday, July 10, 2010

Keep preaching, writing, blogging, tweeting...

I know, I know. Our words feel wasted much (most?) of the time. But yesterday morning's Old Testament lesson was encouraging:

When Moses had finished writing down in a book the words of this law to the very end... Then Moses recited the words of this song, to the very end, in the hearing of the whole assembly of Israel:

Give ear, O heavens, and I will speak;
let the earth hear the words of my mouth.
May my teaching drop like the rain,
my speech condense like the dew;
like gentle rain on grass,
like showers on new growth.
For I will proclaim the name of the LORD;
ascribe greatness to our God!
Deuteronomy 31 & 32

Keep seeking and sharing God's words. The Prophet Isaiah spoke these God-breathed words, told his followers to write them down, and we still take them up in our Friday Morning Canticle,

For as rain and snow fall from the heavens
and return not again, but water the earth,
Bringing forth life and giving growth,
seed for sowing and bread for eating,
So is my word that goes forth from my mouth;
it will not return to me empty;
But it will accomplish that which I have purposed,
and prosper in that for which I sent it.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit:
as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be for ever. Amen.