Thursday, February 25, 2010

Northern Plains Rainbow Time!

No, not some lame political sensitivity rainbow...
Then God said, “I am giving you a sign of my covenant with you and with all living creatures, for all generations to come. I have placed my rainbow in the clouds. It is the sign of my covenant with you and with all the earth. When I send clouds over the earth, the rainbow will appear in the clouds, and I will remember my covenant with you and with all living creatures. Never again will the floodwaters destroy all life. When I see the rainbow in the clouds, I will remember the eternal covenant between God and every living creature on earth.” Genesis 9:12-16


South Dakota and many parts of the Northern Plains (and beyond!) are under deep piles of snow. That stuff will thaw in coming months and the possiblity of flooding is very significant. Even without full on floods, soupy farm fields can't be plowed and planted, so the farmers hurt.


At our midweek Holy Communion service and in parish prayer groups, I have asked us to start praying for God's protection from destructive flooding. I would invite prayers from anybody anyplace - let's start now, not wait 'til the waters are rising.

No comments: