Friday, June 26, 2009

Somebody died?

Our autistic kid loves rapidly moving visual stuff, so YouTube is a fave to watch movie trailers.

When I was bringing it up for him this morning, all of the "most viewed" and "currently viewed" videos were Michael Jackson. The King of Pop's death dominates the news. Farrah Fawcett gets mention but she's clearly in eclipse. Ed McMahon is already archival.

Last night, The Book of Common Prayer featured this lesson:

A dispute also arose among them as to which one of them was to be regarded as the greatest. But he said to them, 'The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those in authority over them are called benefactors. But not so with you; rather the greatest among you must become like the youngest, and the leader like one who serves. For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one at the table? But I am among you as one who serves. 'You are those who have stood by me in my trials; and I confer on you, just as my Father has conferred on me, a kingdom, so that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and you will sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel. Luke 22:24-30

A God's eye view of greatness is very different from ours. If we could see who God is YouTubing, we would say, "Huh? Who's that?"

As you go about your day, try to be aware of the folks who make it better, gentler, more joyful. Some of them are in your family, some are "familiar" in other settings like your workplace. Some you will just bump into for a bit and never see again.

The world will not turn itself inside out looking for news when one of them dies. But do mark them among your favorites. God posted them as pictures of heaven.



1 comment:

The Archer of the Forest said...

I don't know anyone under 25 who had any idea who Ed McMahon was, other than perhaps the Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes guy.

I'm not even that old, and I remember the Johnny Carson show.