Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Tuesday in Whitsun Week

Today's first lesson at Morning Prayer (1928 Book of Common Prayer) is Ezekiel 36:22-29

Therefore say to the house of Israel, Thus says the Lord God: It is not for your sake, O house of Israel, that I am about to act, but for the sake of my holy name, which you have profaned among the nations to which you came. I will sanctify my great name, which has been profaned among the nations, and which you have profaned among them; and the nations shall know that I am the Lord, says the Lord God, when through you I display my holiness before their eyes. I will take you from the nations, and gather you from all the countries, and bring you into your own land.

Lord Jesus, North American Anglicans have profaned your name. Your name is slandered by the false teaching of The Episcopal Church. People can't even hear your name over the fussy squabbling and factionalism that divides your church. Please bless Common Cause and all who labor for an Anglican witness that is true to your message and united in your name. We are not worthy of your attention, but we pray that you will act for the glory of your name, and make us a sign of your glory.

I will sprinkle clean water upon you, and you shall be clean from all your uncleannesses, and from all your idols I will cleanse you.

Jesus, we received the gift of new life in the water of Holy Baptism. But we cling to so many dead and dying things instead of your promises. Make us holy again.

A new heart I will give you, and a new spirit I will put within you; and I will remove from your body the heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. I will put my spirit within you, and make you follow my statutes and be careful to observe my ordinances.

Jesus, your Apostles prayed over us in Confirmation, calling on the Holy Spirit to strengthen us for your service. But we've invested our efforts in other priorities, not submitting to your Summary of the Law, your Great Commission, or your New Commandment. Bring us back to life in the Holy Spirit. Help us to do what you want, when you want, in the way you want.

Then you shall live in the land that I gave to your ancestors; and you shall be my people, and I will be your God. I will save you from all your uncleannesses, and I will summon the grain and make it abundant and lay no famine upon you.

Jesus, reunite us with the whole Communion of Saints, in heaven and on earth. When we share the bread and cup at your Supper, save us from play-acting and help us proclaim only your life, given for us.

We pray in your name, Lord Jesus. We thank our heavenly Father for the Holy Spirit, by whom we call you "Lord" and receive your word and your peace. Amen

No comments: