Thursday, May 20, 2010

New branch of social work seeks to break out of ideological straitjacket, serve military personnel and families

A fascinating article from my alma mater. Large pdf to download, then go to page 36.

"There are some folks that still don't want to touch this... If you develop a military social work program, will the faculty support it? By creating the program, are you somehow endorsing the military, endorsing the wars?"

Some of the creative teaching strategies include "virtual patients" who manifest Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) symptoms.

2 comments:

Keith said...

I think that this is a great idea. The arguments against this are similar to the ones some of my seminary classmates made against military chaplains. I wish them well on their new mission, and I will have to give USC a little bit more respect. :)

TLF+ said...

LOL thanks for the props, Keith.