Monday, March 16, 2009

Invocation for the Sioux Falls City Council

I was honored to offer the Invocation at tonight's Council meeting.

As it was the eve of St. Patrick's Day, God inspired me to sing a verse from "St. Patrick's Breastplate," with words most apt for community leaders:

I bind unto myself today
the power of God to hold and lead,
his eye to watch, his might to stay,
his ear to hearken, to my need;
the wisdom of my God to teach,
his hand to guide, his shield to ward;
the word of God to give me speech,
his heavenly host to be my guard. *

I followed that with an extemporaneous prayer, guided by the Spirit and in Jesus' Name, for all the people of Sioux Falls.

I give thanks for our life in Sioux Falls and pray God's blessing on this city.

*The rest of the words and the music are at the Oremus Hymnal. You can see/hear the Invocation at the Council's live stream site. Scroll down to the "March 16 Council Meeting" line and click "Video."

No comments: