Sunday, July 29, 2007

"Traveling Light" - Chapter Seven - UPDATED

Hey, I mowed our lawn and pulled weeds this weekend, but life around here still feels like the jungle Lucado describes on p. 56: "... thickets of failing health, broken hearts, and empty wallets."

Multiple family health problems have brought us close to despair over the last few years.

My heart is certainly broken by The Episcopal Church's descent into madness and apostasy.

And the medical problems have emptied the wallet.

I can't speak for everybody in the family, but I've certainly felt lost and hopeless more than once. I have been in good company, though. The Apostle Paul dropped us a letter to say,

We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about the hardships we suffered in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life. Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many. (II Corinthians 1:8-11)

And Bishop Bob Duncan of the Anglican Communion Network said this today:
Ever so many of us have found ourselves living through an extended Good Friday. None of us, of course, have lived through anything like our Lord’s excruciating and singular Passion, but the emotional and spiritual depths of the present season have, for most of us, been like few other seasons of our lives. I shall never forget the darkness of the days and weeks beginning with last March’s House of Bishops Meeting. It was during those days at and after that Camp Allen meeting that I truly came to grips with the unavoidable fact that the denominational Church that had – from infancy – raised me, captured me, formed me and ordained me, no longer had any room for me, or any like me. How bitter the rejection! How total my failure! ... It has been the hardest thing I have ever done. Your efforts and your prayers have sustained me. And our God has been good to us beyond measure.

All I can tell you (since I'm still in the midst of the jungle) is that prayer will keep you going. Prayer puts you in the presence of Jesus, who is The Way. And prayer is a means by which others, even at great distance, are helping you in ways you might not recognize until later in the journey.

I sign off now, asking our heavenly Father to restore your soul. May you discover needed supplies here as you hack through your jungle. Most of all, may the Bible verses shared here bring you, by the Holy Spirit, to Jesus Christ, who is the Way. Visit on Wednesday for thoughts on Chapter 8.

No comments: