Friday, July 6, 2007

Psalm 142 - A lament for the traditional Anglican?

Following up on yesterday's post, this morning's Psalm is a great prayer for those who are suffering under church corruption.

I CRIED unto the LORD with my voice; * yea, even unto the LORD did I make my supplication.
Father, Jesus tells us that you give the Holy Spirit to all who ask, seek and knock. Thank you for boldness to come to your throne for help.
I poured out my complaints before him, * and showed him of my trouble.
Father, the leadership of the Episcopal Church has stopped ears and a hardened heart. Thank you for listening when we cry.
When my spirit was in heaviness, thou knewest my path; * in the way wherein I walked, have they privily laid a snare for me.
Father, Episcopal Church leaders sue your people and are rewriting canon law to authorize more harassment. Thank you for protecting us along the way.
I looked also upon my right hand, * and saw there was no man that would know me.
Father, many of us have lost friends by standing for you. Thank you that your Son, Jesus, calls us his friends.
I had no place to flee unto, * and no man cared for my soul.
Father, many faithful people must go without the care of bishops, priests and deacons, and without the sacraments. Thank you for your Word and Spirit, always with us.
I cried unto thee, O LORD, and said, * Thou art my hope, and my portion in the land of the living.
Father, your people are losing church buildings, titles, positions and all kinds of familiar comforts. Thank you for leading many to rediscover the sufficiency of your love.
Consider my complaint; * for I am brought very low.
Father, the Episcopal Church batters those who hold Biblical faith. Thank you for lifting us up.
O deliver me from my persecutors; * for they are too strong for me.
Father, the Presiding Bishop, Executive Council, General Convention and their lawyers are spending millions of church dollars to hurt and scatter your people. Thank you for welcoming us when we flee to your mercy.
Bring my soul out of prison, that I may give thanks unto thy Name; * which thing if thou wilt grant me, then shall the righteous resort unto my company.
Father, in this painful time, you are leading many out of the Episcopal Church. Thank you for faithful churches with open doors, and for gathering new congregations of your faithful people.

We pray to you in the Name of your Son Jesus Christ, who with you, Father, and with the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, one God, in glory everlasting. Amen.

2 comments:

Alice C. Linsley said...

Lord, have mercy.
Father, bless.
Master, heal our infirmities.

Amen.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you for this. I printed it off at work yesterday and read it this morning while sitting on the deck, drinking coffee, and reading through Morning Prayer.