Sunday, August 26, 2007

On The Authority of the Bible over our "Experience"

In discussing this dark night, therefore, I will not rely on experience or science, for these can fail and deceive us. Although I will not neglect whatever possible use I can make of them, my help in all that, with God's favor, I shall say, will be Sacred Scripture, at least in the most important matters, or those that are difficult to understand. Taking Scripture as our guide we do not err, since the Holy Spirit speaks to us through it. Should I misunderstand or be mistaken on some point, whether I deduce it from Scripture or not, I will not be intending to deviate from the true meaning of Sacred Scripture or from the doctrine of our Holy Mother the Catholic Church. Should there be some mistake, I submit entirely to the Church, or even to anyone who judges more competently about the matter than I.

John of the Cross (1542 - 1591), The Ascent of Mount Carmel, Prologue (2).
Kavanaugh/Rodriguez translation, Institute of Carmelite Studies, 1991.

1 comment:

Alice C. Linsley said...

St. John of the Cross is a bright light in western mysticism.

The masthead today is breath-taking. One day I hope to visit North Dakota. I can see why the Oglala regard it as a dwelling place of sacred spirits.