Saturday, March 19, 2011

UPDATED: Some personal connections with St. Joseph on his day


St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Cathedral is a prominent landmark here in Sioux Falls.



We moved here from San Juan Capistrano, CA. That is where swallows complete their spring migration and build their nests in the walls of the old mission, arriving like clockwork every March 19th.



Most personally, St. Joseph was called by God to be a caregiver - to provide for Mary and Jesus as a plan well beyond his understanding played out. As husband and dad in a special needs family, I find comfort and inspiration in Joseph.



UPDATE: Oh, yeah, I forgot (earlier post was pre-coffee): OUR SON IS A JOSEPH!!!!!

5 comments:

Anglicat said...

Very cool, Tim. As a person with Polish ancestary, I have always quietly celebrated St. Joseph's Day. Nice to know that there are others out there holding it important. Wear red!

The Archer of the Forest said...

My favorite story about St. Joseph was something that always occurred in the chapel at my Catholic high school. On one side was a shrine to Mary with a statue, and on the other, a shrine to Joseph with a statue.

Mary's shrine always had flowers and several votive candles lit. (The candles increased closer to exam time.)

Poor Joseph's was always bereft. No flowers; maybe one votive candle lit if he was lucky. Even during Easter, he got the one or two leftover Easter lilies that couldn't be fit around the Altar or the Marian shrine.

Every time I went in there, I felt sorry for Joseph, sitting all alone in the corner, as if he was the patron saint of unpopular high school kids that weren't in the "in crowd."

TLF+ said...

Archer - Joseph could handle that status - that's why God used him in his special role!

Anglicat - I happen to have some red on... what's the tradition there?

Matt said...

Fr. Fountain, I loved the picture of the swallows. It reminded me of this verse: "Even the sparrow finds a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, at your altars, O LORD of hosts, my King and my God." Psalm 84:3

TLF+ said...

Matt - me, too. In fact, I used that verse from Psalm 84 earlier on Good Shepherd's FB page, in connection to the return of the robins (they are are messengers of spring here in Sioux Falls).