Saturday, March 5, 2011

Ah ha! So that's where that Jesus kid got it...

This must have been observed by other folks but I'm too lazy to Google it.

As I read Morning Prayer today, these verses

One thing have I asked of the LORD; one thing I seek; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life; To behold the fair beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple. (Psalm 21:5-6)

suddenly reminded me of Jesus' answer when his followers asked for a lesson on how to pray:

And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. (Luke 11:9-10)

The "ask" and the "seek" are there word for word, and the Psalm's "seek him in his temple" certainly suggests knocking on the temple door.

This should should not surprise me. Jesus quoted Psalms frequently, praying from Psalm 22 in his final moments on the cross.

After his resurrection, he told his followers

"These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled." Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures... (Luke 24:44)

What a joy to hear his voice in this morning's Psalms, opening my mind to better understand his way of prayer.

No comments: