Tuesday, September 21, 2010

More than I could ask or imagine - to God be the glory.

At the Christian writers conference I attended in August, the event's leader prayed that God would use my writing in "an Ephesians 3:20 way." That verse reads,

"Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think." (New Living Translation)

Last Friday, an opinion piece I started at the conference made it into the local newspaper. It dealt with "usury," the sin of charging excessive interest on loans.

What I did not know was that on Sunday, the Revised Common Lectionary used by several Christian churches began a series of weekly lessons about money, the treatment of the poor, the responsibilities of the rich and other related themes. A Roman Catholic woman I know mentioned going to Sunday Mass and hearing the lessons more acutely because she'd read the Friday op/ed piece.

The conference leader's prayer was answered. God positioned the publication of the editorial in a more abundant way than I could have made happen, even if I had forseen the upcoming Sunday lessons. More than I could "ask or imagine," as the Book of Common Prayer renders Ephesians 3:20 in a prayer.

All thanks, praise and glory to God.

3 comments:

David Handy+ said...

Marvelous divine timing.

But I also commend you, Tim, for having the guts to publish the truth about usury in the Argus-Leader when Sioux Falls is home to some major credit card operations, and when SD has the worst laws in the nation in terms of condoning usury. As ++Duncan has often said, "Courage breeds courage."

Bravo!

The Archer of the Forest said...

Yeah, I figured you knew it was the Sunday of the dishonest stewart when you published that article in the paper.

TLF+ said...

David+, thanks for the encouragement. I have to say that my courage isn't all that much, but the encouragement of other Christians helped the article emerge.

Archer+, I wish I were that good. The timing was all God.