Friday, January 15, 2010

I can't even pray this. Who can?

Friday Morning Prayer included Psalm 17.

I think it impossible for any human being to offer verses 3 - 5,

3 Weigh my heart, summon me by night, *
melt me down; you will find no impurity in me.


4 I give no offense with my mouth as others do; *
I have heeded the words of your lips.


5 My footsteps hold fast to the ways of your law; *
in your paths my feet shall not stumble.


Who could speak to God in this way, except a clueless fool with no self-awareness or the insufferably self-righteous type that Jesus couldn't stand?

But that's the key - Jesus couldn't stand that sort because they put themselves in his place. He is the righteousness of God. His heart alone was pure, his words were the only perfect enunciation of God's, his steps were the only ones not wasted in wandering.

As I read the Psalm today, uncomfortably conscious of my inability to pray it, I was nudged to remember Hebrews 7:25, (The Christ) is able for all time to save those who approach God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them. For just a few moments, I was in touch with Christ himself, offering this Psalm for me - for all his people - for all time:

1 Hear my plea of innocence, O LORD;
give heed to my cry; *
listen to my prayer, which does not come from lying lips.


2 Let my vindication come forth from your presence; *
let your eyes be fixed on justice.


Only Jesus could face a trial of Divine justice and be vindicated;
he places himself before the court when we have no plea. Instead of our sorry record, the court looks at the One who can say,


3 Weigh my heart, summon me by night, *
melt me down; you will find no impurity in me.


4 I give no offense with my mouth as others do; *
I have heeded the words of your lips.


5 My footsteps hold fast to the ways of your law; *
in your paths my feet shall not stumble.


Instead of our mumbled faith and screaming doubts, the court hears a defense from the One who can say,

6 I call upon you, O God, for you will answer me; *
incline your ear to me and hear my words.


7 Show me your marvelous loving-kindness, *
O Savior of those who take refuge at your right hand
from those who rise up against them.


Instead of our long litany of complaints and excuses, the court is fascinated by a plea from the One most humiliated by our arrogant cruelty,

8 Keep me as the apple of your eye; *
hide me under the shadow of your wings,


Then the universe is stunned as Christ points accusingly, not at us, but at our accuser, Satan, and all spirits who have despised Christ and deceived our human race,

9 From the wicked who assault me, *
from my deadly enemies who surround me.


10 They have closed their heart to pity, *
and their mouth speaks proud things.


11 They press me hard,
now they surround me, *
watching how they may cast me to the ground,


12 Like a lion, greedy for its prey, *
and like a young lion lurking in secret places.


And the court hears Christ call for dismissal of the charges against us, and a new filing against the evil ones who have enticed and entrapped us,

13 Arise, O LORD; confront them and bring them down; *
deliver me from the wicked by your sword.


He prays as though we are him and he us! And he asks that we be vindicated with him, accepted to live in the eternal joy that evil despised for passing things,

14 Deliver me, O LORD, by your hand *
from those whose portion in life is this world;


15 Whose bellies you fill with your treasure, *
who are well supplied with children
and leave their wealth to their little ones.


His summation is simple: he asks that we receive what he has received: passage from death to life and everlasting bliss in the presence of God,

16 But at my vindication I shall see your face; *
when I awake, I shall be satisfied, beholding
your likeness.


Jesus is interceding for us - for you, for me - right now and always. Can we quiet our protests and pleadings and hear the eternal eloquence being offered on our behalf?