Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Midwest winter weather - please pray

From Job 37:
5 God's voice thunders in marvelous ways; he does great things beyond our understanding.
6 He says to the snow, 'Fall on the earth,' and to the rain shower, 'Be a mighty downpour.'
7 So that all men he has made may know his work, he stops every man from his labor.
8 The animals take cover; they remain in their dens.
9 The tempest comes out from its chamber, the cold from the driving winds.
10 The breath of God produces ice, and the broad waters become frozen.


Father in Heaven, marvelous beyond our understanding, bring your power to our help in this severe winter weather. Protect travelers, warm the cold and strengthen the hands of all working to provide comfort and safety. We pray in the Name of Jesus, who shared our frail humanity, and who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, in glory everlasting. Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the bleak midwinter, frost wind made moan,
earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
in the bleak midwinter, long ago.

Our God, heaven cannot hold him, nor earth sustain;
heaven and earth shall flee away when he comes to reign.
In the bleak midwinter a stable place sufficed
the Lord God Almighty, Jesus Christ.

Angels and archangels may have gathered there,
cherubim and seraphim thronged the air;
but his mother only, in her maiden bliss,
worshiped the beloved with a kiss.

What can I give him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
if I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
yet what I can I give him: give my heart.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm. Going from the sublime (last comment) to the ridiculous...

I hate to gloat, but today it was 75 degrees here where I live in Virginia. It makes it a little harder to pray for all of you stuck in the deep freeze in SD.