Sunday, November 11, 2007

Veterans' Day

Masthead picture for Veterans' Day: Planes of the 114th Fighter Wing, South Dakota Air National Guard, Joe Foss Field, Sioux Falls.

O LORD God of Hosts, stretch forth, we pray thee, thine almighty arm to strengthen and protect the soldiers, sailors, marines and air force of our country. Support them in the day of battle, and in the time of peace keep them safe from all evil; endue them with courage and loyalty; and grant that in all things they may serve without reproach; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Please pray for all military veterans, past and present.

South Dakota Division of Veterans Affairs

State Veterans Home

5 comments:

TLF+ said...

I give thanks today for my dad, E.A. "Al" Fountain, U.S. Army Air Force, WWII.

I give thanks for those with whom I served in the U.S. Army, 1977-1983, especially Battery C, 3/37 Field Artillery (Herzo Base, Federal Republic of Germany) and the 40th Infantry Division, California Army National Guard.

Tim Fountain

Alice C. Linsley said...

I give thanks for my father, Kenneth W. Linsley, former US Air Force pilot and JAG. He died on 17 November, 18 years ago.

I also give thanks for my son, serving in the Kentucky Army National Guard and safely home from a 14-month tour of duty in Iraq.

May God bless all our veterans and those still on duty.

Anonymous said...

I give thanks for my fathers' service in the North Atlantic in the Merchant Marine during WWII. He served on multiple ships because they kept being sent to the bottom by the Nazis (no, not fundamentalist Episcopalians - the real Nazis! ;-)

This group of veterans is mostly forgotten these days...

TLF+ said...

Thanks, Alice and Scott - so glad that Alice's son is home, and I give thanks for the family's sacrifices.

Scott - I use to live in San Pedro, CA (L.A.'s harbor). There is an evocative Merchant Marine memorial there - men helping one another clamber up a rescue ladder from a sinking ship. It honors the fact that no war could be won without their risky work.

Anonymous said...

I give thanks for my father, Don Boyer, who proudly served in the Army from 1967 until his retirement in 1995. He was a Vietnam Vet as were his siblings. He always joked: "It's a long, long way from Jackson, Wyoming to Saigon".
T.B.