Friday, November 28, 2008

Things to See and Do in Babylon: Fine Dining!

The voice said to me, “Son of man, eat what I am giving you—eat this scroll! Then go and give its message to the people of Israel.” So I opened my mouth, and he fed me the scroll. “Fill your stomach with this,” he said. And when I ate it, it tasted as sweet as honey in my mouth. Then he said, “Son of man, go to the people of Israel and give them my messages."
Ezekiel 3:1-4

Episcopalians are made spiritually sick by sermons, classes and publications that are Bible-deficient.

How about using this time in exile to ingest what the Bible really says - the message that makes sense of all the Prayer Book stuff we say?

At our parish, we used an exilic summer to teach an outline of the whole Bible, and have now moved into exile house groups that are reading the whole Gospel of Mark. It will be the first time that some of these exiles have ever read an entire book of Jesus' words and deeds.

Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'" Matthew 4:4, quoting Deuteronomy 8:3

BLESSED Lord, who hast caused all holy Scriptures to be written for our learning; Grant that we may in such wise hear them, read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest them, that by patience and comfort of thy holy Word, we may embrace, and ever hold fast, the blessed hope of everlasting life, which thou hast given us in our Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen.
(Book of Common Prayer - prior to 1979 this was always the Collect for the Second Sunday in Advent).

No comments: