Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Pray that Rowan Williams might "Lift up his head"

Atheist author Christopher Hitchens ran into Archbishop Williams at a cafe in Georgetown, VA ( hat tip to BabyBlueOnLine ). According to Hitchens, the following exchange took place:

I ask him how it's going. "Well"—he lowers his voice—"I'm rather trying to keep my head down." Well, why, in that case, I want to reply, did you seek a job that supposedly involves moral leadership?

Let us pray for Archbishop Williams, asking the Holy Spirit to strengthen him with Biblical truth and hope:

Then, at the evening sacrifice, I rose from my self-abasement, with my tunic and cloak torn, and fell on my knees with my hands spread out to the LORD my God and prayed: "O my God, I am too ashamed and disgraced to lift up my face to you, my God, because our sins are higher than our heads and our guilt has reached to the heavens." (Ezra 9:5-6)
Come, Holy Spirit, and fill Rowan with holy fear. Let him confess his own sin and the sins of the Anglican Communion, and let him make intercession for the people in his care.

But you are a shield around me, O LORD; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head. (Psalm 3:3)
Come, Holy Spirit, and remind Rowan to put on the whole armor of God. Give him confidence in the power of Christ.

Lift up your heads, O you gates; lift them up, you ancient doors, that the King of glory may come in. (Psalm 24:9)
Come, Holy Spirit, and give Rowan vision. Let him see that he stands at the ancient doors of the church, and show him how to open them to the King of glory. Let him lift up his head and receive the mind of Christ.

He will drink from a brook beside the way; therefore he will lift up his head. (Psalm 110:7)
Come, Holy Spirit, refresh Rowan with living water, and give him an abundance overflowing into the whole Anglican Communion.

When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near. (Luke 21:28)
Come, Holy Spirit, remind Rowan that his Redeemer lives and will stand upon the earth. Let Rowan know that his work today has eternal consequences for many, and give him every gift to do work that pleases the Father.

We pray in the Name of Jesus, who with the Father and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, one God, in glory everlasting. Amen.

No comments: